Windsor Castle

One of the things I like about the movie “American Beauty” is the poetic lines uttered by one of the supporting actors. He said something about beauty being all around us and that sometimes, it’s hard to keep everything within. Sometimes, it’s too great, he felt like his heart will burst.

I was at Windsor castle this afternoon and got a glimpse of immense splendor. The palace is a living testimony to the English’s appreciation of beauty. Windsor castle from the outside is a great edifice to behold. It bespoke of magnificence, strength, pride and endurance. For a castle that was built 900 years ago, it is well kept and still worthy to be the residence of the Queen of England.

Upon entering the castle, one gets a glimpse of the exquisiteness that is a common sight for the royalty. The entrance is filled with a lot of war memorabilia : swords, guns, lances and suits of armors. Picture taking is strictly prohibited and I felt a great disappointment for not being able to capture the grandeur of the place.

One by one, we visited the many rooms of the castle. One of the most glorious rooms I’ve seen was the St. George’s Hall. Here all of England’s coat of arms are proudly displayed, witness to the awe that people bestow upon the place.

The paintings, china collection, furniture, tapestries, everything within each room bespoke of a fine sense of appreciation for loveliness. Looking at them, I remembered that moment from American Beauty. The exquisiteness of it all felt too much for my poor heart. I wanted to rebel against their rule of not taking pictures but I dared not do something about it for fear of the consequences.

If it were possible for a heart to burst from such magnificence, surely mine would have burst into pieces a long time ago. Of course, what I consider to be grand is a common sight to the royalty. What a pity that they cannot experience the awe that people feel when introduced to such splendor .

I am starting to love England and I feel like it’s taking a hold on me. I could grow old in here and spend the rest of my days praising its beauty. But, one day, I too have to go and all I’ll have of England is the memories of days spent in its glorious company.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Go Europe!

Fear of Heights

Paris Connection