Vernon, Giverny, Deauville, Lisieux, Etretat

Last Friday was a holiday here. Thus, we had a long weekend. For this week, we decided to rent a car (at the project's expense of course) and drive through the French countryside. We went to the Normandy area. It was fun. We went to Vernon where we had a chance to feed swans in the Seine river. Then, we went to Giverny where Claude Monet was born. His garden is amazing. It has a collection of almost every flower you can imagine. It was wonderful. His water lily pond, where he based his famous "water lily" paintings was exactly as it was depicted in his paintings. Amazing. I loved it there.

We got lost on our way to Deauville and we asked some natives how to get there. We were advised to go through Lisieux to get to Deauville. When we arrived at Deauville, we learned that there's no more hotel room available. The place is good but were not able to explore it more. We ate dinner there and then left to go back to Lisieux.

As it turned out, Lisieux is the town of St. Therese of the child Jesus and of the holy face. She's also known as St. Therese of Lisieux. Imagine! I guess, it was through God's guidance that led us to Lisieux. We visited the Basilique and St. Therese's house. They are wonderful. Really amazing, actually. Imagine, we're walking in the same streets where St. Therese walked. We had a very good lunch in one of the restaurants at the town and checked-in into another hotel before heading off to Etretat.

Etretat is a really small but nice town. We didn't tour around the town but went directly to its famous cliffs. The view is spectacular. Beside the beach, there were two cliffs overlooking the sea, one at the left and one at the right. We went up the peak of the right cliff because there's a church there. There was a wedding at the time and it was nice to watch. The view is really, really amazing. It was well worth the climb. We went down a very rugged part of the cliff and I was afraid. Thus, I held on to Lito (one of the people I'm with) and I wasn't looking anywhere else. Going up, I arrogantly said that I will climb on my own because there are handrails that I can hold on to. However, somewhere in between, there was a part where there's no handrail to hold on to and I panicked. I shouted and I was laughing in my nervousness. I was hoping to hold on to Dran but he was way above me and too far from me. It's a good thing that Lito was right behind me or I don't know what I would have done. Well, it was an experience.

After that, we head off back to Lisieux and had a very good dinner. Well, I spent a lot but the meal was really, really good. The next day, Sunday, was spent also in Lisieux. We went to the crypt and to an exposition in the Basilique of St. Therese. We also went to Carmel where a replica of St. Therese is. Afterwards, we watched a diorama of St. Therese's life. It was very moving.

I really think that we were guided to Lisieux. It was not part of our plan but somehow, we spent a lot of our time there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Go Europe!

Fear of Heights

Paris Connection