London Weekend

3/4/00

I had a good day today. Expensive but good. I have transferred to a new hotel last night and boy, is my new hotel classy! Cher! (expensive)

Last night, I tried to book for a ticket in the Phantom of the Opera play but I was told to try again on Saturday morning. I was thinking of going to Bath and Stonehenge today but I decided to do that on Sunday. I'm really tired and I need a good night sleep and rest. Thus, I woke up at my leisure, around 8:30am. The breakfast here is free because I got an executive room (at almost the same price as the cheap hotel reserved for me, hah!). I again tried to get a ticket for the Phantom of the Opera but I was told by the concierge that it's sold out. So, I just went out to find the nearest subway and learn my way around. It's a good thing that the line from my hotel to my office is just one so it's easy for me to calculate how long it's going to take me to travel. That's the first thing I did, I went to the stop near my office, got lost and found the place where I’m going to go on Monday. At least, I don't have to worry on Monday because I have already scouted the place.

On my way back, I saw a tourist office and I asked for help. It turned out that there is still some tickets for the Phantom of the Opera but it's a little bit expensive than usual. I was thinking of getting the regular playing time but it's going to end at a really late hour and I’m travelling alone at night so I decided to get the matinee slot. I thought I could get one for today but it was wishful thinking. I got a ticket for the March 11 play. I am so excited already! I was also able to get a ticket for the Bath and Stonehenge tour tomorrow.

I went next to the Tower Bridge and the Tower of London. I love the Tower Bridge. The architecture is really good. The Tower of London however did not appeal to me. It doesn't seem to have that much to offer thus I didn't go inside. Since I was alone, it was hard to get my picture taken with the view. It's a good thing that someone offered to do it so I at least have one picture in London that includes me.

Afterwards, I went to the St. Paul's cathedral. I'm surprised because it doesn't seem to be a good place to visit too. However, there's so much hype about it thus a lot of people go there. Didn't enjoy it though because there's just nothing there for me.

I was homeward bound when I noticed that the stop prior to where I'm going is Nothing Hill Gate. Hmmmmm. Got curious and checked it out, just trying to see if it is the place where Nothing Hill was filmed. I saw a blue house similar to the one in the movie but I'm not sure if it was the same one. I tried to look for the book shop but I just didn't find it.

And that is the end of my day today.

It is quite boring hah? But I did enjoy the walk and the sun and the people around me. I like travelling here because it seems safe. Or maybe because I just understand their language. I don't know. So far, I'd say that I would choose Paris over London anytime. Of course, I've been here for only 3 days and I have yet to discover the beauty of the city. Well, of course, Paris overwhelmed me even the first day that I saw it. So, I don't know. The architecture and the culture of the French is really different. Maybe I'm getting biased but for now, it's Paris over London for me.



3/5/00

Surprisingly, today has been a very good and enjoyable day. Our way to the Bath and Stonehenge was filled with a good view of the English countryside. It was a long drive but the view was spectacular especially on certain valleys where you can see the surrounding area. Our first stop was the Stonehenge. It was exciting to see a world renown sight with your own two eyes. It was amazing and mysterious. There's not much to see in the Stonehenge since it's really just that, a group of great big stones skillfully placed for reasons unknown. It just makes me wonder what's behind the whole thing. And I guess that's the beauty of the place, its mysterious quality just keeps on tugging at a person's curiosity.

We then traveled a long way to Bath. This is a city nestled in a low area and approaching from a high level gives one a good perspective of its beauty. I fell in love with the place. It is so beautiful and serene despite the number of visitors it embraces. What's amazingly unique about this city is that all of the houses and buildings, every structure, is made out of limestone. The honey-colored stones are lovely, more so when the sun's morning rays highlights its color. The place is so beautiful, the view breathtaking. I love it so much I wanted to stay or go back again and explore it in detail. We were in the center of the city, near the Bath Abbey. All views around the place is so picturesque that I just wished that I can paint them to capture their beauty forever. I used up a lot of my film taking pictures around the place. Limestone gives the place an ethereal beauty that is so unusual, it just keeps you in awe. It seems that the people from Bath takes care of their environment well. I went to a walk along the bank of their river and its bank was made more beautiful by the blooming flowers and cherry blossoms. One of their tourist spot was the bridge in the middle of the city that was filled with a lot of shops skillfully placed in such a way that you'll not notice the bridge unless you get a glimpse of it in a shop's window. And the Abbey, its view from the outside is spectacular. I was so sorry that I failed to explore its inner area because there was a mass that goes beyond our departure time.

What should have been the main tourist spot of the place is the Roman bath. It was an old bathing area used a long time ago (probably 100 years or more) and it's still working. You can still see the smoke and the bubbles coming out of the spring. However, it wasn't a very good visit. The sculptures and buildings were not maintained well and what should have been a marvelous sight looked so plain and decrepit.

If the Natural History Museum is beautiful in the morning, it is more magnificent in the evening when lights give it a grandeur not present in any other building. I love it and I’ll go visit it next weekend.

Now, between Bath and Paris, the scale is a little bit heavier on the Bath side but not too much. If it comes to a decision, I am not sure if I'd take Bath or Paris because I both love these places.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Go Europe!

Ciao Italia

Fear of Heights