Mommy

"Mommy Ther, Mommy Ther, tingnan mo ang grade ko.", and my three year-old pamangkin proudly showed me her test result. All of my pamangkins call me Mommy Ther. I guess it was a tradition that we got from my mom's family because we call her other two sisters, Mama and Nanay.

I have three nieces and a nephew from my brother and my two sisters. Toni is the oldest and the first apo in my family, then there's C-vic (an abbreviation for Charles Victor). Next in the line is my niece Marian from my youngest sister and then there's Angelica Louise from my twin sister. Toni will be four years old this coming November 19. C-vic is two and a half years old, Marian is two and Louise is barely 7 months old.

I was not very fond of children before. I found them too noisy and too annoying. While other people were going crazy over a child, I used to just look in total indifference. I just don't see what the fuss was all about.

And then, Toni came along. She was the first apo in the family, so we were all excited about her. She turned out to be a very bright girl. Although she can be bossy and demanding, Toni is very bright though naughty. Since she is the oldest among the brood, C-vic and Marian follows her like very obedient subjects of a queen.

C-vic is the only boy among the imps. While Toni can be very talkative and demonstrative, C-vic is the exact opposite. C-vic is a very quiet child although he can be noisy too when he wants to. He is very good with constructions and shapes. When my sister gave Toni a lego set, it was C-vic who played with it and he was able to build a car without anyone's help. After that, I gave him a toy that tested his ability to recognize different shapes. He was able to fit the correct shape in the correct slot. And this without any help from us.

One thing you can say about Marian is that she loves to eat. She is the fattest among the children and she really loves to eat. Marian has that face that always seems to be smiling. She is also intelligent but very naughty also. There were times when she doesn't want to answer a question, she would repetitively say "Ha ?" as if she cannot hear you or something. She also has a habit of smiling like an angel when she knows she did something wrong.

Louise is a special child for us. The whole family got worried when she was born because she has a problem with her bowel movement. Several days have elapsed since her birth and yet, she hasn't had her bowel movement yet. At that time, the whole family was visiting my twin sister at the UST Hospital. When we learned about it, we were all worried. We didn't tell my sister at once because we were worried about her reaction. The doctor said that it's possible that Louise undergo an operation to fix her problem. Since she was a newborn, the operation could be dangerous for her. She was taken away for several hours of observation. All of us prayed so hard that day. After some time, we decided to go back to my Aunt's house in Dimasalang. On our way there, I received a paged message from my brother-in-law, saying that Louise already had her bowel movement. There is no need for an operation anymore. We were all so relieved and thankful. God is definitely merciful !

Louise turned out to be a gem. She is so active and cute. Like Marian, she also smiles like an angel when she did something wrong. She is only seven months old and yet, we all feel like she's so old already. Louise always has a special smile for me. Being an identical twin, she always thought I'm her mother. When I visit them at their home, Louise is so obviously confused why there are two people who look like her mother. She looks at the two of us in confusion, moving her eyes from one to the other.

All of them call me Mommy Ther. And I love all of them equally. I love going home to Bulacan especially when I know that they are waiting for me. Sometimes, they would wait for me even late at night and they would shout excitedly when I do arrive home. Each one of them would always try to catch my attention and get my approval for what they are doing. I feel so proud of all of them.

I still find some children too noisy and too annoying but, most of the time now I find them cute and interesting. I am still single and I still have no child of my own. Whereas before I cannot picture myself having a child, now I can because of my pamangkins.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Go Europe!

Ciao Italia

My So Called Life