Valentine Madness

Valentine's day is coming. You'd notice it by all the red heart designs splashed all over. Love cards are out and dozens are being sold everyday. After the busy Christmas season, it's now the day of hearts that people are busy with.

Flower peddlers will be abundant in the street. Motels will be fully booked and restaurants will be filled to their capacity. Men will be spending a lot of money to buy flowers, chocolates and cards for their love ones. Sometimes even women do the same. All these for the so dubbed 'Day of Hearts'.

For an unattached person like me, Valentine's Day doesn't hold any special treat. In fact, you won't catch me dead having a gimmick on this day for fear of being labeled a baduy. Sure, you'd say it's because I have no special someone to celebrate the day with. When someone gives me a retort like that, I usually answer 'Sure, rub it in. Why don't you just take a knife and plunge it in my heart?' I am, of course, just kidding.

I am curious why people think that valentine's day can only be celebrated if you're part of a couple. Have you ever wondered why we even need to celebrate it? I guess when you go out on this day with other friends of the same gender, you'd get suffocated in seeing so many couples being so sweet to each other and it'd make you wonder why there's no special person in your life.

Is there something wrong with that? Time and time again, I have to exercise patience whenever people ask why I don't have a boyfriend. Sure, you want me to have a boyfriend? Maybe I'll go to Mega Mall, hold somebody's hand and declare to the guy that we're already going steady. Imagine the shock and the dismay the guy would feel. Hmmmm. I find the idea amusing. But of course, I will not do something like that. I am not that desperate or lacking.

Good things come to those who wait. What exactly am I waiting for? A guy who'll fulfill all of my dreams? Someone who'll make my life complete? But who says that my life is not complete? The problem with our culture is the idea that people have about marriage and women. Women who are over 25 and not yet married are considered old maid. But why? In other countries, they don't bother about the age and marital status of a woman. How are we different? Why should we care?

People can't seem to help but wonder why a woman is unhitched when you've reached the age of 26. It seems like what's going on in their mind is something like 'Why is this girl not yet married? Hmmm, there must be something wrong with her. And why can't she even find a boyfriend? Must be one of those with a bad attitude'. Sometimes, I just want to wring the neck of whoever inspired this type of thinking in us. Women not only have to wonder why we're in a situation like this, we also have to bear all the pity and patronizing attitude that people give to us.

So, is Valentine’s Day really for lovers only? I don't know. What I do know is that if I have a choice on how I'd celebrate this day, I'd give myself a long hot bubble bath and laze awhile in the bathtub. That is assuming that we have a bathtub. Since we do not have one, the possibility of this happening is nil.

Am I unhappy that I do not have a partner to celebrate Valentine’s Day with? I'll have to take a rain check on that. I'll give you a call when I've had my bubble bath.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Go Europe!

Ciao Italia

My So Called Life